Tuesday 9 October 2007

Space facts

After watching the 6-part series from the BBC called "The Cosmos" last week, I went fishing for facts to feed my revigourated hunger. I'll put a few here:
  • The distance from the surface of Earth to the centre is about 3,963 miles. Because much of Earth is fluid, the solid skin of the planet is only 41 miles thick - thinner than the skin of an apple, relatively speaking.
  • You could fit approximately 1,000,000 Earths inside the Sun.
  • The surface area of the Earth is 196,950,711 square miles.
  • Our Solar System is moving at 43,000mph through our galaxy - the Milky Way.
  • Some of the objects visible in Hubble Space Telescope images are nearly 4,000,000,000 (billion) times fainter than the limits of human vision.
  • If you suspend three grains of sand in a large sports arena, such as Madison Square Garden in New York, the arena will be more closely packed with sand than our galaxy is with stars.
  • The Earth orbits the Sun at an average velocity of approximately 18 miles per second.
  • Due to frequent collisions with subatomic particles, it takes a typical gamma ray photon about one million years to travel from the core of the Sun to its surface, even though gamma rays travel at the speed of light (the gamma ray region of light has shorter wavelengths than X-rays). By the time the photon that started out as a gamma ray photon escapes the solar furnace, it has lost so much energy through collisions that it emerges from the Sun's surface as a photon of ordinary, visible light.
  • And, one of my favourites(!) - there are more stars in our universe than there are grains of sand on the whole of Earth..

4 comments:

John Going Gently said...

interesting if slightly geeky!!!

MrGeeza said...

I AM a closet geek, John.. ;-) Just don't tell anyone..

Nigel said...

I'm a science/space bore, although I rarely admit to it (although you may have spotted one or two spacey posts on the blog). Try Cosmos by Carl Sagan: you won't be able to stop reading it, if you like this kind of stuff - it's 'the' classic. I've a paperback copy somewhere around the house, and I'll pop it over to you if you like (when the postal strike is over). Heck, there are geeks popping out of the closet seemingly everywhere lol ;-) Nx

MrGeeza said...

Cheers Nige..
I'll order it now. I could do with a new read.
I find it all so interesting but I really struggled to understand the CERN laboratory in Geneva. Particle physics and the practical experimentation, rather than the theory, really baffles me..
Thanks for the recommendation though - I look forward to it..
Gx