Wednesday 19 March 2008

What the bible says about being gay

On my daily trawl of the BBC news website this morning I stumbled across this piece.

I'm not especially familiar with the bible and nor do I wish to be. I was force-fed enough of it's pious brain-washing nonsense as a boy and knew even then that it held no calling for me.

After reading the BBC article though, I sort of debated the issues - albeit briefly - in my mind about what exactly the scriptures alluded to regarding homosexuality.. then I was quickly brought to my senses and satisfied by a brief comment annexed to the bottom of the page:

"All academic really; we will outgrow religion as we've outgrown our belief in goblins and dragons. One day we will just accept our mortality, and get on with the business of living." Nathan, UK

Succinct and unequivocally pertinant.

Religion could be such a marvellous way of providing a sense of community and belonging for like-minded, well-intentioned, moral, upstanding members of society. How different reality is.

It's not even necessary for one to view the complex conflicts religion creates and fuels on the largest scale. Right down at base level - a small parish church in a leafy English village - will demonstrate it's inaccessability. How many church-goers would embrace the arrival of, say, a new "hoodie" attendant among their congregation?

It's dangerous, religiose poppycock masqueraded as a superior lifestyle choice conveying those ignorant enough to follow it into eternal life and happiness.

I'll accept that my remnants will be re-exploded into space in 8 billion years time as bits of iron, carbon etc. In the meantime I'll make the personal decision not to be wicked to anyone and also not to judge the personal decisions of those around me...

No comments: