Wednesday 16 April 2008

Clichés!

Clichés, I suppose, are inherently irritating.
Neighbourly discourse is inherently irritating.
Today I suffered a quip brimming with both.

My morning was spent hoovering my beloved BMW. Halfway through, my neighbour - who resides opposite - came out of his house, looked over at me intently (precipitating my turning and hang an ear out the car) and yelled "You can do mine after if you want". I realise this constitutes the most trivial of social annoyances but why say it all?! Simply say 'Good morning' or nothing at all!

His ridiculous comment in turn forces the 'idiotic social reflex' in me; where I either smile and fake a little laugh at his ground-breaking sense of humour or, worse, I try to think of something equally lazy and unnecessary to say in return. I fell victim of the latter and retorted "I'd love to, but I've got No.s 14, 16 and 18 to do yet". Oh, the shame.

Clichés - the choice of neighbours everywhere for passer-by bubblegum vernacular. Bah.

No comments: