Friday 7 March 2008

Technology over practicality?

I love my car. Common - is such knowledge - among my friends.

It's jam-packed of technological wizardry. Largely unnecessary - but ultimately rewarding. At the weekend, however, a feature of this 'wizardry' became a bloody nuisance!

The computer highlighted that I had lost a significant pressure from a tyre and that I had possibly suffered a puncture. Great! one might think. No. The inordinately expensive tyres are "run-flats" meaning one can continue driving for ~100 miles even with a fully deflated tyre - therefore, none of the tyres exhibitted any physical external signs of deflation and the computer (in all its wisdom) is not sophisticated enough to point a finger at the offending tyre!

A trip to the garage ensued, whereupon the tyres were all re-inflated to their appropriate levels and the computer reset, with the disconcertingly vague instruction that I should "just keep driving on them and see if the warning re-appears". How reassuring.

I'll keep my comprehensive voice activation, active bolster sport seating, bluetooth connectivity, internet connection, Sat-Nav etc. but they can keep their tyre technology - I'll just have a tyre that's either flat or not. Simple.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.