Monday 27 August 2007

Dental pain and Rhys Jones

Ok, well.. teeth are all done! After a few hours 'umming and arring' about whether or not the anaesthetist and surgeon were happy to operate, they eventually did it. My mouth is currently quite painful, but for the long term I suspect it's for the best. My stubborn reluctance to take medication for anything means I'll bear the pain until it subsides.

It got me thinking while I was in the hospital - elective surgery is a funny thing. A ward full of bright-eyed folk off the street; sitting around, chatting and joking. They get wandered down to theatre and, 30 minutes later, arrive back looking battered and bruised. Mouthes stuffed with cottonwool wads, blood trickling down their semi-numb chins and a weary and confused look on their barely-awake faces!

======================================

Excuse me for changing the tone, slightly, but I thought I'd mention something that has played on my mind. The tragic story of the shooting Rhys Jones has, obviously, heavily populated the press in the past few days. What sits very uncomfortably with me, however, was the attendance of Rhys' parents - as guests of honour - to Goodison Park for the Everton home game on Saturday. What has happened to them in the past week is incomprehensible and I can't help but feel that visiting a football stadium of 35,000 - who applauded their 11-year old son for a minute less than 1 week after his untimely death - seemed horribly out of place.

I don't suggest, for a minute, that I know the best way for parents to greive and rehabilitate after the tragic death of a child, but I'm certain this wasn't it. I'm sure that as the police and media frenzies that surround the Jones family subside, the parents will be left with the peace and space to deal with things 'more naturally'.

======================================

Back onto a happier note - the sun is out again today and, as a devout worshipper, I shall be enjoying every second of it!

1 comment:

John Going Gently said...

many thanks for your comments
john